Monday, July 09, 2007

At the All-Star Break...

First, time for the Week 14 POW: Nick Markakis (7/26, 3 2Bs, 7 RBIs, 2 SB, 5 BB, 45 points).

I had a terrible week and limped into the All Star break. After closing to within 1 game of Otto, I was swept by Mizzou over the weekend. The bright spot was the emergence of 2 new SPs. Matt Garza finally got called up, and he threw 6 shutout innings for a win. Also, Garret Olson was called up by the Orioles. His first start was rather lackluster, but he only gave up 2 runs in 4.1 innings. The Os have said he will remain in their rotation for the second half. For now, he'll remain in my minors, but a few good starts would earn him a 2nd half callup.

Now, time for some first half awards.

TOP OFFENSIVE PLAYER: Miguel Cabrera.

M-Cab edges out Pujols for this award. He batted .324 and had a 969 OPS in the first half. He also added 18 HR and 61 RBI to come into the break with 492.5 Points.

TOP STATING PITCHER: Johan Santana.

No surprise here. Johan edeges Lackey with his dominant first half. His record stands at a good - but not spectacular - 10 and 6. But, all of his other stats are just nasty. He has a 2.75 ERA, a 1.03 WHIP, and a 125/30 strikeout-to-walk ratio. He goes into the break with 436.75 Points.

TOP RELIEF PITCHER: Jose Valverde

Here is the first surprise. Valverde edges out Hoffman and Papelbon for this award. He had 26 Saves in the first half to go along with a 2.83 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, and a 38/14 strikeout-to-walk ratio.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: Gerald Laird

Laird had am 805 OPS last season, so I decided to go with him as my starter. But, he has been so bad that I sent him to the minors and eventually released him. He started to heat up slightly, so I dealt Pudge and went with him again. But, he has been pretty bad, so I'm looking for replacements anywhere I can find them. Thanks Gerald...for nothing.

BIGGEST SURPRISE: Tom Gorzelanny

I expected him to be OK this year. I got nervous during his weak spring. And, he has been nothing but great this year. He enters the break with a 9-4 record, 3.10 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, and a 75/35 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Keep it up Tom...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home